Thunder strike Hunslet out of League 1 Cup

In their first competitive fixture of the season yesterday (Sunday 19 February 2017) Hunslet RLFC fell well short of the mark losing to Newcastle Thunder by 34 points to 10 in the League 1 Cup, conceding seven tries to two in the process.

Hunslet failed to complete any of their first four sets and continued to make handling errors throughout the game – a point that Head Coach James Coyle, speaking to Radio Leeds after the game, admitted was the major factor leading to this heavy defeat.

One such incomplete set gave Newcastle good field position for wing Ali Blair to open the scoring in the 8th minute, going over out wide on the left. On 12 minutes Hunslet took the lead for the first and only time in the game when a 40-20 from hooker George Flanagan and neat passing, paved the way for Jake Normington to cross for 6-4 to the home side.

Hunslet’s lead was brief. On 19 minutes right wing Tyler Craig went over for the visitors, an excellent conversion from the touchline by Hardcastle took Thunder into a 10-4 lead. Newcastle added to their lead soon after when Derrell Olpherts – a constant threat throughout the game – went over following a neat kick through.

The Parksiders were reduced to 12 men on 34 minutes when wing Gavin Duffy was red carded for his part in a flare up involving a number of players from both sides. Both teams added tries before the break – firstly Rhys Clarke going over for Thunder, quickly followed by Mufaro Mvududu to take the score at half time to Hunslet RLFC 10-18 Newcastle Thunder.

A strong run by Nyle Flynn early in the second half gave Hunslet good field position, but poor handling again let them down. The visitors then took advantage of their superior numbers with full back Lewis Young racing through a gap in the defence to score. On 56 minutes Mvududu was bundled into touch just short of the line, but that was just about as good as it got for the Parksiders.

Further tries for Thunder from Vincent Rennie and Evan Simons completed the scoring giving the visitors victory by 34 – 10. Hunslet will be hoping for a much improved performance in next Sunday’s Challenge Cup tie at home to the Coventry Bears.


Hunslet RLFC:  Danny Thomas, Ryan Ince, Jack Norfolk, Mufaro Mvududu, Gavin Duffy, Joe Sanderson, Danny Ansell, Michael Haley, George Flanagan, Matt Carbutt, Aston Wilson, Jake Normington, Liam Mackay.  Subs: Matthew Tebb, Austin Bell, Jack Coventry, Nyle Flynn

Newcastle Thunder:  Lewis Young, Tyler Craig, Joe Brown, Derrell Olpherts, Ali Blair, Danny Nicklas, Benn Hardcastle, Brett Walker, Evan Simons, Corbyn Kilday, Harry Aldus, Rhys Clarke, Jack Aldous.  Subs: Aaron teroi, Vincent Rennie, Sam Luckley, Lee Paterson

Referee: Brandon Robertson.
Attendance: 449


This post was written by Phil Goodfield using our Create an article for South Leeds Life page.