Councillors are responsible for services provided by Leeds City Council – social services, education, sports, parks, planning, refuse collection and a host of other things. If you have a problem with a council service you can ask your councillor to help you sort it out.
Leeds has 99 councillors – three in each of 33 wards across the city. Our part of South Leeds is covered by three wards – Beeston & Holbeck, Hunslet & Riverside and Middleton Park.
All nine councillors form the Inner South Community Committee, which meets about six times a year to discuss issues about our area. These meetings are open to the public and we will try to let you know when they’re coming up and tell you about their decisions.
From the folks at MySociety you can report, view, or discuss local problems like graffiti, fly tipping, broken paving slabs, or street lighting over at Fix My Street, send messages to your councillors over at Write To Them, and make Freedom Of Information requests here.
Beeston & Holbeck Ward
Includes Beeston from Cross Flatts Park up to the Co-op, Cottingley and Holbeck. The three councillors are:
- Gohar Almass 07445 878 333 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Angela Gabriel 07946 632 468 email@example.com
- Andrew Scopes 07860 400 645 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4th Friday of Every Month 4:00pm – St Matthew’s Community Centre
- 4th Friday of Every Month 5:00pm – Beeston Library, Town Street
- Except Bank Holidays and during August
Hunslet & Riverside Ward
Includes parts of the city centre, Beeston Hill, Hunslet and Stourton. The three councillors are:
- Mohammed Iqbal 07831 437304 email@example.com
- Elizabeth Nash 0113 275 8594 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Wray 07528 512 649 email@example.com
- 1st Wednesday of the month
Hunslet Tenants & Residents Association, Church of the Nazarene, Lupton Street, Hunslet 6:30pm
- 1st Thursday of the month
Hunslet Carr Residents Association, Woodhouse Hill Community Centre, Woodhouse Hill Road, Hunslet 6.30 pm.
- 3rd Thursday of the month (except August & December), 6.00pm
St Luke`s Church, Malvern Rd, West Hunslet
- 3rd Saturday of the month 10-11:30am. Dewsbury Road Community Hub, 190 Dewsbury Road, Leeds, LS11 6PF
- 4th Saturday of the month 10-11:30am. Dock 29, The Boulevard, Leeds, LS10 1PZ
- Last Friday of the month 6-7pm. Woodhouse Hill Community Centre, Woodhouse Hill Road, Leeds, LS10 2EF
Middleton Park Ward
Includes Belle Isle and Middleton. The three councillors are:
- Judith Blake 0113 378 9000 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kim Groves 07891 741 832 email@example.com
- Paul Truswell 0113 378 8811 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1st Saturday of each month at 10.00am – 11.15am at St George’s Centre
Leeds Central MP – Rt Hon Hilary Benn
Hilary Benn is our MP. He represents the Leeds Central constituency which covers Hunslet, Belle Isle, Beeston, Holbeck, Cottingley in south Leeds as well as the city centre, Woodhouse, Little London, Lincoln Green, Richmond Hill, Osmondthorpe, Halton Moor and New Wortley.
Constituency office: Suite 7, Unity Business Centre, 26 Roundhay Road, Leeds LS7 1AB; phone: 0113 244 1097; fax: 0113 234 1176
Or: House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA; phone 020 7219 6714
- First Saturday of every month (except August): 10.00am – 11.15am St George’s Centre, 11.30am – 1.00am Tunstall Road Community Centre
- Fourth Friday of every month (except August):4pm – 5pm St Matthew’s Community Centre, 5.15pm – 6.15pm Beeston Library
Check out the latest on Mr Benn’s activity in Parliament over at They Work For You.