Further to our report last June, designs have now been finalised to improve 36 bus stops on Belle Isle Road, Ring Road Middleton and Middleton Park Avenue.
A report published yesterday (10 March 2021) details the scheme, valued at £300,000, which is to be wholly funded from West Yorkshire Combined Authority’s Connecting Leeds programme as previously approved by Leeds City Council’s Executive Board.
The main works comprise:
- Replace existing bus shelters or introduce new shelters at 36 bus stops along the three routes to improve the bus passenger experience;
- Provide real time travel information in all new bus shelters to improve the bus passenger experience;
- Improve pedestrian links at bus stops and in the locality of the bus stops to assist all pedestrians, especially the elderly and those with mobility issues and improve the accessibility of the public transport system;
- Provision of two bus lay-bys on Middleton Ring Road, in keeping with the remainder of the route, to take the bus off the main carriageway, thus allowing the free flow of general traffic and removing the unsafe overtaking manoeuvresthat sometimes occur;
- Improvements to existing layby/carriageway surface to improve the ride experience of bus patrons whilst on a bus.
- Realign the eastern side of Middleton Circus to improve the bus waiting facilities, remove the congestion that occurs at peak times and provide an additional two on street limited waiting parking spaces;
- Realign the eastern kerbline of Middleton Park Avenue to improve the bus waiting facilities and consolidate two existing bus stops;
- Widen footways to provide a better waiting environment for bus passengers, facilitatingthe introduction of bus shelters and improved accessibility to public transport provision;
- Introduce new Bus Stop clearway markings and refurbish existing Bus Stop clearway markings where necessary; and
- The introduction of greenery, planting and trees along Middleton Ring Road to negate the loss of grass verge at the locations of the two proposed lay-bys.
Works are due to commence imminently and are due to be completed by June this year.