The Tetley Weekender is an annual micro-festival that takes its inspiration from the gallery’s next exhibition, with activities for all the family, artist-led performances, events and talks, plus great food and drink. It’s a perfect introduction to everything they do at The Tetley and it all takes place this coming weekend – Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 May 2018.
The Experiments Workshop will form the centrepiece of the Material Environments exhibition and this year’s Weekender and we are excited to have four artists from the exhibition with us over the weekend. What you can expect:
- See Phoebe Cummings as she continues her practice live in the Atrium as she spends time working and building on her larger than life immersive clay installation.
- Join her also for a science fiction experimental writing workshop where participants will be writing a story then recreating these sci-fi colourless landscapes using clay!
- Take part in multiple workshops led by artist Harold Offeh, including teaching techniques through Selfie Choreography, which explores authenticity, movement, photography and narcissism.
- See also performance devised by Offeh focusing on interviews, talk shows and audio material transcribed into scripts and activated by a collective reading that explores identity, realness and authenticity.
- Hear Serena Korda perform her Glass Harp live in the gallery, an instrument once associated with causing madness and hysteria for its players and listeners!
- See Keith Harrison demonstrate his artwork as a live science experiment, using the heritage of the building to create a large expanding installation.
- Families can create shelters outside on the Brewery Green from various recycled materials, taking inspiration from Joanna Piotrowska’s photographic series Shelter in the exhibition! (weather dependant, City Workshop if rainy).
- Join curator, Ben Roberts, for a tour of the exhibition on Saturday at 2pm.
- Fantasy Object Tree Family Art Workshop: Take inspiration from the evolving work on display and create a colourful three dimensional object to hang from a collaborative fantasy tree.
- Playbox will be on site 1-5pm each day with giant spyrograph plus Slime Sunday.
- A Leeds Dads showcase on Sunday 1-4pm featuring giant bubbles, art tables, baby friendly zones, lego, ‘Dadcercise’, snacktime, storytime and a wordsearch treasure trail with prizes to be won!
- Pizza Making. Sunday 20 May, 11am–4pm, £6.00
Kids can create their own pizza! Delivita are offering hourly workshops to get creative with your food, sign up at their stand outside on the Brewery Green. Price includes includes pizza and a soft drink.
- The Sun Shines Everyday Forever – Open every day!
A new sculpture by Todmorden-based artist Matthew Houlding that you can touch! Step through the doorway, make a picnic on a boulder or play hide-and-seek through the coloured windows!
Plus great food and drink offers over the weekend and even more to be announced!
There is going to be lots to do for the whole family. No need to book, FREE and open to all over the weekend of 19-20 May, 11am–5pm. For more information go to thetetley.org