Keinhorst helps Hawks defeat Workington

Jimmy Keinhorst scored two trys to help Hunslet Hawks win a real four-pointer against Workington Town at the bottom of the Kingstone Press Championship, in Cumbria this afternoon (26 April 2015).

Hawks_logoHunslet kicked off the game at the Zebra Claims Stadium playing with the wind for the first half. With the Hawks’ fans making themselves heard, the Hunslet defence stood up well top early pressure from Workington.

Hunslet opened the scoring on 14 minutes with Jack Lee spinning cleverly over the line after Workington conceded another penalty near their line. Brown was unable to kick the extra points, but Hunslet took a 0-4 lead.

Workington got onto the score board on 25 minutes. After a good drive Ryan Sutton side-stepped and then offloaded to Fifita who went over for the try. Carl Forber kicked the afters and Workington were 6-4 ahead.

Hunslet replied quickly when Jimmy Keinhorst collected a long kick to score easily. Brown again missed the conversion, but Hunslet were leading 6-8 after 29 minutes.

Barnett almost replied straight from the kick off, but Hunslet tackled him yards from their own line. In fact it was the Hawks who scored next extending their lead when Luke Briscoe scored easily after Town knocked on from the scrum. This time Brown made the kick and with 34 minutes gone Hunslet had a 6-14 lead.

Workington had two tries disallowed, the first for Phillips off load to Whitely adjudged to be forward. Then Coward took a another forward pass from Forber.

As time ran out Brown hit a 40m kick to take the half time lead to 6-15.

Five minutes into the second half Hunslet won a penalty 40 metres out. It was kickable but Brown elected to kick for the corner which led to Lee helping Jimmy Keihorst to go over for the try. No extras from Brown, but Hunslet now held a deserved 6-19 lead.

Workington put the pressure on and were held up on Hunslet’s line on the sixth tackle on 57 minutes giving the ball back to Hunslet. Whitely was held up trying to cross the line and eventually Brett Phillips got the job done, grounding Forbers kick. With the conversion missed, the score was now 10-19 with twenty minutes to play.

Workington kept up their attacking pressure. Forrester ran 90m only to be tackled by Jimmy Watson, who was then sin-binned for laying on. Soon after Jamie Doran scored a try for Workington after beating several defenders. Forber scored the goal and brought Town within a score, the points at 16-19.

Both teams kept battling, but neither could add to the score. Brett Phillips was named Man of the Match.

Final score Workington Town 16- 19 Hunslet Hawks.

This report was compiled from Workington Town’s live tweets.