The ‘South Bank’, the parts of Holbeck and Hunslet close to the River Aire, are going through big changes and more are to come. Leeds City Council is now asking for your views as they shape their plans for the area.
The area has already seen new campuses for Leeds City College, at the former Alf Cooke printworks, and Leeds Building College. They have been joined by the Ruth Gorse Academy on the Yorkshire Chemicals site and the University Technical College at the Braime’s factory, both opening this month.
The new Burberry factory in Holbeck and the High Speed Rail (HS2) station will have an even bigger impact. There is a thriving arts scene in the area with the Tetley art gallery, Slung Low theatre and Old Chapel studios amongst others. A new eco-housing development, by CITU who developed The Greenhouse in Beeston, is taking shape just across on the north bank which will include a new footbridge across the river.
The Council has big ambitions for the area, which will affect the whole city, not just South Leeds. The framework sets out our ideas to create a destination that:
- Provides 35,000 jobs
- Has over 4,000 homes
- Showcases the diversity of the Leeds economy, where a range of sectors are located and where the global meets the local
- Historic assets are retained and central to our placemaking
- Is a leading destination for leisure – with distinctive and diverse public spaces, and a green city centre park
- Has a world class waterfront
- Is inclusive and connects people to jobs by improving links between South Bank and surrounding neighbourhoods.
- Makes the most of the opportunity presented by HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail
The framework provides a comprehensive plan of ideas to transform South Bank.
You can find out much more about the plans at southbankleeds.co.uk or attend one of the consultation events:
Wednesday 7 September: 5:30-6:30pm Inner South Community Committee, Hunslet Methodist Church
Wednesday 7 September 6:30-8:30pm Open Consultation, St Matthew’s Community Centre, Holbeck
Thursday 15 September 10am-2pm Open consultation, Dewsbury Road One Stop Centre