With Christmas fast approaching, NHS Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is advising patients not to leave it too late to order or collect repeat prescriptions.
Local pharmacies and GP practices may have reduced opening times or be closed over the bank holiday period. This means it is important that anyone with a long-term condition or needing regular medication is prepared for this by having enough medicines to cover this period.
Dr Sarah Forbes, GP and NHS Leeds CCG’s Associate Medical Director, said:
“If you have a long-term condition and take regular medication, it is important to pick up any repeat prescriptions as many GP practices and pharmacies will be closed or have reduced opening hours over the holiday. Forgetting to take medication can have serious health consequences for some patients. Plan ahead this holiday to enjoy a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year.
“If you do become unwell over the holiday period you can visit your pharmacist, who can provide free professional advice for common illnesses like coughs, colds or aches and pains. If you have an urgent health issue then you can contact NHS 111 to speak to a fully trained adviser.”
The CCG is also advising that people check their medicine cabinets so that they are prepared for winter should they become ill.
A medicine cabinet should include:
- Paracetamol and aspirin, and equivalent syrups (such as Calpol) for children
- Mild laxatives to relieve constipation
- Re-hydration mixtures for diarrhoea or vomiting
- Indigestion remedy
- Travel sickness tablets
- Tweezers and sharp scissors to remove splinters or cut bandages
- A thermometer to check for fever
- A range of bandages, plasters (various sizes), non-absorbent cotton wool, elastic bandages and dressings
- Antiseptic to clean cuts before they’re dressed (bandaged) and most can treat a range of conditions including insect stings, ulcers and pimples.
These pharmacies in LS10 and LS11 will be open over the bank holidays as follows:
- Boots Pharmacy Crown Point Retail Park, LS10 1ET, (0113) 244 8039 Christmas Day: Closed | Boxing Day: 8am-6pm
| New Year’s Day: 10am-5pm
- Belle Isle Pharmacy 219 Middleton Road, LS10 3HU (0113) 270 9596 Christmas Day: 10:30am-12:30pm | Boxing Day: Closed | New Year’s Day: 10:30am-12:30pm
- Cottingley Pharmacy 3 Cottingley Vale, LS11 0JY (0113) 277 7577 Christmas Day: 1-3pm | Boxing Day: Closed | New Year’s Day: 11am-1pm
- Al-Shafa Pharmacy Hillside Buildings, Beeston Road, LS11 6AY (0113) 270 7722 Christmas Day: 9-11am | Boxing Day: Closed | New Year’s Day: 9-11am
- Boots Pharmacy White Rose Shopping Centre, LS11 8LL (0113) 277 6196 Christmas Day: Closed | Boxing Day: 8am-8pm | New Year’s Day: 10am-6pm
To find a full list of GP and pharmacy opening times over the bank holidays, please visit www.leedsccg.nhs.uk/health/services/christmas-and-new-year/
This post is based on a press release issued by NHS Leeds CCG