Later this month there are two job fairs in south Leeds where local people can find out more about these opportunities:
Monday 21 October 2013 – 2.00pm – 7.00pm at St. Matthews Community Centre, St. Matthews Street, Holbeck, LS11 9NR
- Thursday 24 October 2013 2.00pm – 7.00pm at Hillside, Beeston Road, Beeston, LS11 8ND
The Little London, Beeston Hill and Holbeck Housing Regeneration Project – better known as the long awaited Housing PFI is now under way. The first phase of refurbishment works includes the commencement of external works to Meynell Heights; later this month demotion on sites in Beeston Hill will begin in preparation for the building of new homes in February 2014.
The developer, sustainable communities for Leeds (sc4L), is working with the Council and a number of agencies including Construction and Housing Yorkshire, Leeds College of Building and re’new to develop a recruitment programme to support the project, focusing on getting local people jobs.
A key element of the project is the creation of new jobs through:
- Apprenticeships in construction;
- Employment for local skilled people;
- Construction work experience placements for students in vocational training and at school;
In other developments, local residents who have put their names forward will have the opportunity of joining a number of working groups, each one dealing with a specific aspect of the project.
Arrangements are also in place to recruit local residents to the Project Liaison Group (PLG) in Beeston Hill and Holbeck. This group is a key part of the consultation mechanism for delivering the project.
The whole project will
- Build a total of 388 new homes
- Refurbish 1245 council homes
- Deliver a maintenance programme that will ensure homes and estates will be well maintained for the next 20 years.