Two weeks ago eight people who live and work in South Leeds got together at South Leeds Community Radio for a discussion with The Guardian’s Beat Blogger in Leeds, John Baron. John explained the ABC of blogging and especially the power of a good local blog to connect and empower communities. Most of us had come along to see if we could launch, or improve our own blogs. As the discussion went on we realised that if we combined our efforts we would be stronger. So this is a collaborative blog.
But we don’t want to keep it to ourselves. If you’ve got something to say, comment on a post, or even better write your own post – get in touch.
Our aims are to:
- inform people in South Leeds about events and issues
- provide a platform for discussion of local issues
- Tell the rest of the world how great South Leeds is!
There is going to be a lot going on in South Leeds over the next 12 months. Here are just some of the things we have thought of:
- New housing in Holbeck & Beeston Hill through the Council’s PFI scheme
- Community forums
- The Council’s Inner South Area Committee
- Community festivals and galas next summer
- Out of school activities
- Crime statistics
- Extension to the White Rose Centre
- New Asda in Middleton, new Tesco in Beeston
- The 2011 Census
- Future of South Leeds Sports Centre
So what’s going on in your corner of Hunslet? or Cottingley? or …? Please let us know.