Doncaster hold off Hunslet

Hunslet RLFC lost a close fought game, and their 100% league record, against Doncaster yesterday (2 April 2017) at the Keepmoat Stadium.

The Parksiders fell behind in the first half and left themselves too much to do despite an improved performance in the second half.

Hunslet started well and took the lead after 10 minutes when Gavin Duffy scored in the corner. Danny Ansell was unable to convert, but Hunslet were 0-4 up.

6 minutes they were pressing again on Doncaster’s goal line when the home side was penalised for a high tackle. Danny Ansell kicked the penalty for two points.

Charlie Martin scored Doncaster’s first try on 21 minutes after some neat work by Keiran Cross. Tom Carr converted to level the scores at 6-6.

Five minutes later Keiran Cross reached over the whitewash to score the Dons’ second try. A melee following the score saw  England and Normington sin-binned. Carr’s kick hit the post so the score was 10-6.

On 34 minutes the home side went further ahead. Cross found Mason Tonks to score, Carr kicked the extras making it 16-6.

Hunslet pressurised but goal line defence forced them into touch as the half closed. Half time score 16-6.

Hunslet’s game improved in the second half. A good passing move allowed Mufaro Mvududu space to break through and score on 49 minutes. Ansell converted from the touchline pulling the score back to 16-12.

Hunslet draw level on 55 minutes when Jake Normington barged over the line from close range. Now it was Danny Ansell’s turn to hit the post with his kick.

Four minutes later Hunslet took the lead as George Flanagan scored from dummy half. Ansell’s kick was good and Hunslet led 16-22. But they didn’t hold the lead for long, Wright scoring for Doncaster on 62 minutes and Carr’s conversion tying the scores at 22-22.

An exchange of penalties took the score to 24-24 before Carr kicked a drop goal for the Dons on 71 minutes to take a slender lead 25-24

Tali sealed the home side’s win scoring in the corner in the 80th minute. Carr’s kick missed its target as the hooter sounded.

Final score 29-24

Speaking to BBC Radio Leeds after the match, Hunslet Coach James Coyle said he was disappointed with the teams first half performance “We have to up our standard” he said.

Hunslet face the South Wales Ironmen at South Leeds Stadium on Sunday 9 April, then travel to meet Keighley Cougars on Good Friday.


Hunslet RLFC:  Watson, Duffy, Wilson, Mvududu, Webb, Ansell, Mackay, Reed, Lee, Hesketh, Normington, Walton, Flynn.  Subs: Gibson, Kenga, Carbutt, Flanagan.

Doncaster RLFC:  Carr, Doherty, Welham, Tali, Barnett, Miller, Cross, Scott, Kesik, Castle, England, Martin, Thackray.  Subs: Wright, Paleaaesina, Spiers, Tonks.

Attendance: 604