Macmillan Coffee Morning, What’s it all for?
Cancer is the toughest fight most of us will ever face. And as treatments improve, more and more people are living with cancer in their daily lives.
The money you raise at the coffee morning will help make sure no one has to face cancer alone, from the moment they’re diagnosed, through treatment and beyond.
It’s Macmillan’s biggest fundraising event, where we ask people across the UK to hold a coffee morning and raise money for people living with cancer.
In 2013, 154,000 people signed up, raising a record £20 million
Are supporting the Macmillan Coffee morning for Parents/Carers and Friends please join the school in supporting this cause.
Friday 26 September 8.30am – 10.30am in the Small Hall. Also craft stalls, raffles and Choir.
There Macmillan Coffee Morning on Friday starting at 10.30am.
I will be going to both, have a cuppa and a Sugar free cake, just in case I go Hypo.
Beeston In Bloom are holding their coffee morning on Friday afternoon! Its at the Watsonian Pavilion in Cross Flatts Park, from 2-4pm on Friday 26 September.
The Tavern Middleton Rd, Hunslet, Leeds LS10 is very popular as a Community Pub in the area.
Telephone (0113) 271 2322 for more details.
The Tavern is well know for raising money for good causes.
Pop along on the 28th have a coffee, bun or a pint or 2 of beer.
Dame Judi Dench’s Mini Cherry Bakewells
Preparation time: 25 minute
Cooking time: 22 minutes, plus cooling
For the pastry:
- 375g pack shortcrust pastry
- plain flour for dusting .
For the filling:
- 75g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 75g ground almonds
- zest ½ lemon
- ½tsp almond extract
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 12 tsps morello cherry jam
For the topping:
- 125g icing sugar, sifted
- 12 fresh cherries
How to prepare:
1. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut out 12 circles using 9cm cutter. Line a 12-holed muffin tin with the pastry discs. Chill for 30 mins, or until firm.
2. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6. To make the filling beat together the butter, sugar, egg, ground almonds, lemon zest, almond extract and flour, until well combined.
3. Divide the jam between the pastry cases, then top with the almond filling and gently smooth the surface.
4. Bake for 18-20 mins, until risen, lightly golden, and a skewer inserted into the topping comes out clean. Remove from the tins and cool on wire racks.
5. Mix the icing sugar with just enough water to make a thick, but slightly runny icing. Spoon the icing over the cooled tarts and let it drizzle down the sides here and there.
6. Pop a cherry on top and leave to set before serving.
If you know of any other MacMillian Coffee mornings in South Leeds please add the details in the comments section below: