West Yorkshire Police – Leeds Inner South
** STOLEN VANS IN MIDDLETON AND BELLE ISLE **
Please be aware of an emerging way in which Mercedes Sprinter vans in Middleton and Belle Isle are being targeted and stolen when they are locked and secure, using unknown means.
We would like to ask that van owners consider extra security measures when leaving your vehicle parked up overnight to help ensure the vehicle is left as secure as possible:
– use robust steering locks.
– park the vehicle in a well-lit area.
– if you have a garage, use it. If your van is parked on a driveway, consider installing security lighting.
– keep any plant and tool equipment out of sight but ideally removed from the van altogether, with a notice on the van telling people that no tools are stored overnight.
– ensure van doors and sliding doors are properly locked by checking physically with handles that they are secure when leaving them, rather than relying on the remote key fob.