There has recently been an increase in the theft of packages left in safe areas and especially communal areas around West Yorkshire left by delivery drivers.
With our movements being restricted at this time, more of us are turning to online organisations and delivery firms to bring goods to our doorstep.
This in itself can cause its own issues, especially for those of us that reside in homes with a shared communal reception area or hallway.
The big delivery companies like Amazon, Hermes, Yodel, Parcelforce and Royal Mail will have their own policies in relation to deliveries through the COVID 19 outbreak. The drivers must ensure their own safety and the safety of others first and foremost but must also have consideration for the safe delivery of those products they are delivering.
Whilst West Yorkshire Police will pass on any advice to the couriers we deem appropriate, we will encourage home owners to follow advice on how to protect their delivered goods.
- Do ensure all communal external doors are locked and not propped open.
- Challenge people who are wanting access.
- Maintain communal areas
- If there is an option to leave a telephone number and to receive a text once delivery has been then do so.
- Try and obtain a short time slot – not always available with some companies
- Ask landlords to assist with secure internal storage areas, the Police will approve those that are ‘Secured by Design’ accredited.
- Be vigilant and look out for each other
Photo: Ian Hughes via Creative Commons