Council house repairs

South Leeds Life received the following comment from Steven Ballance:

“Aire Valley Homes, although supposedly the ‘landlords’ of some housing in Middleton, are now asking residents who need repairs doing to contact the contractors themselves, instead of contacting them.

“This came to light after I tried to report a blocked drain to AVH and was told by one of their telephonists to phone the Contractor and report the fault/repair myself. Does this mean we will all receive a list of the relevant repair Contractors telephone numbers, therefore doing away with the Aire Valley Homes helpline?” 

Leeds-City-Council-LogoWe contacted Housing Leeds. Council houses which were managed by Aire Valley Homes were taken back into Leeds City Council in 2013. A member of the tenant information team commented:

“Without looking into this call in more detail it would be difficult to assess what has actually happened, but usually we would, either raise a repair for a contractors operative or alternatively refer the repair directly to Yorkshire Water if it was assessed to be their responsibility. However, if the call was made out of hours our team could have recommended that Yorkshire Water be contacted directly.”

You can find details of how to report repairs on the Council website here:

There is an online system for routine repairs. Emergency or urgent repairs should be phoned through on 0800 188 4000 (freephone from a landline) or 0113 376 0410 (from a mobile).