Hunslet Hawks dismiss Doncaster in latest cup win

Hunslet Hawks’ topsy-turvy season took another turn as they powered past Doncaster to go through to the fifth round of the Ladbroke’s Challenge Cup last night (18 March 2016).

Having taken an early lead, the Hawks made sure they used their extra man advantage after Doncaster’s Pickets-O’Donnell was sent off on 32 minutes. Pacey winger Richie Barnett’s four tries capped a solid performance.

Richie Barnett scores one of his four tries. Photo: Phoenix Photography
Richie Barnett scores one of his four tries. Photo: Phoenix Photography

Jack Lee opened the scoring for Hunslet on 8 minutes. His try was converted by Simon Brown as the Hawks took a six point lead. Hunslet sustained the pressure, but Doncaster defended well debying them a further score.

Hunslet broke the deadlock again on 27 minutes when Richie Barnett capped a great move taking the ball over from the wing. Brown was unable kick the extras from touch, 10-0.

On the half hour Joe Pickets-O’Donnell was sent off for stamping in the tackle. Hunslet took advantage of the extra man straightaway with Richie Barnett going over for his second try of the night on 33 minutes. Brown again missed the conversion.

Hunslet took their 14-0 lead into the half time break.

Hunslet kicked off the second half but it was Doncaster who scored first when Zac Braham scored under the posts. Jordie Hedges converted bring the score to 14-6.

Hunslet struck back three minutes later. George Flanagan broke through, but was held up, but Lee Waterman took the ball over. Simon Brown converted and restored the Hawks’ 14 point lead.

Lee Waterman scored his second try on 57 minutes and Brown again converted. With Hunslet leading 26-6, the home fans started chants of ‘Wembley’.

Five minutes later Jack Lee went over from dummy half for Hunslet’s sixth try and with Brown’s conversion takes the score to 32-6.

On 70 minutues Hunslet scored again as the ball was spread wide to Mufaro Mvududu who scored in the corner. Simon Brown kicked the extras extending the Hawks’ lead to 38-6.

Richie Barnett powered over for his third try on 74 minutes, but Brown was unsuccessful with his kick this time.

Barnett capped an excellent performance with his fourth try four minutes later and Brown converted from touch.

Final score: Hunslet Hawks 48-6 Doncaster


Hunslet Hawks:  Watson, Duckworth, Faal, Mvududu, Barnett, Brown, Thomas, Carbutt, Lee, Reed, Waterman, Normington, Williams.  Subs: Flanagan, Bell, Buttery, Haley.

Doncaster:  Sheriff, Jones-Bishop, Doherty, Welham, Foggin-Johnston, Kesik, Hedges, Scott, Frankland, Nicholson, Tonks, Kelly, Walton.  Subs: Cross, Braham, Pickets-O’Donnell, Milton.