West Yorkshire Police – Leeds Inner South
Do you know someone who is 16-18 yrs old, lives in West Yorkshire and would like spend one evening a week gaining insight into modern policing and helping out in the community?
If so you need to act fast, this year’s Explorer programme closes on Friday.
Please share with anyone you think may be interested. You can find out more and apply at http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/explorers.
What is the Explorer Programme?
Explorers is an exciting programme designed for young people aged 16-18 to investigate different aspects of policing and at the same time support their communities through volunteering. The three main aims are:
- To engage with young people representative of the communities and neighbourhoods of the respective Districts delivering the programme
- To provide voluntary opportunities for young people to gain an insight into modern policing, whilst making a positive contribution to their local community
- To deliver a diverse and exciting programme demonstrating the role of the Force, and to promote West Yorkshire Police as an attractive and rewarding career opportunity
The programme is delivered over a 25 week period between January and July, commencing with an Induction Day. Explorers attend weekly sessions held on a Wednesday evening at Police Stations across West Yorkshire. There are also a number of other sessions where Explorer groups come together for combined sessions, or that take place at specialist locations across the Force.
Where does it run?
The Police Stations where the programme run are as below.
Bradford – Trafalgar House Police Station, Nelson Street, Bradford, BD5 0EW
Calderdale – Halifax Police Station, Richmond Close, Halifax, HX1 5TW
Kirklees – Huddersfield Police Station, Castlegate, Huddersfield, HD1 2NJ
Leeds North East – Stainbeck Police Station, Stainbeck Lane, Chapel Allerton, Leeds, LS7 3QU
Leeds North West – Weetwood Police Station, 300 Otley Road, LS16 6RG
Leeds South East – Elland Road Police Station, Elland Road, Leeds, LS11 8BU
Wakefield – Normanton Police Station, Havertop Lane, Normanton, WF6 1FD
What does the Programme consist of?
The Programme comprises core sessions delivered by West Yorkshire Police officers and staff from a wide range of departments, including Roads Policing, Custody, Hi-Tech Crime, Counter-Terrorism Unit, Corporate Communications and Crime Prevention. In addition, there are sessions chosen by each District Explorer lead – this may include Neighbourhood Policing deployments, Public Order Training, weapons awareness or drugs awareness. The Programme culminates in an Awards Evening, with trophies for the District Explorer of the Year and overall West Yorkshire Police Explorer of the Year.
- Be aged between 16-18 years old. You should be at least 16 years old or still be 18 years old when the programme starts at the end of January 2015
- Live in West Yorkshire
- Be able to commit to one evening per week throughout the course of the programme. This is usually Wednesday evenings for 2 hours at either 6-8pm or 7-9pm.
- Be enthusiastic about the Police Service and be interested in working in the community.