Decision delayed again on 18-storey Hunslet flats plan

The developer behind plans for an 18-storey block of flats has failed to secure planning permission for a second time.

Councillors were not convinced a development of 164 apartments on Sayner Lane in Hunslet can go ahead.

A decision on consent for the project was first deferred by a plans panel in May after no discount rents were offered to meet council planning policy.

Housing firm Countrylarge Ltd then included eight cheaper lettings in the project under revised plans discussed at a meeting on Thursday (10 July 2025).

The panel was still not satisfied with the offer, and raised further concerns over the design and amount of grassed space included in the scheme.

Panel member Colin Campbell (Liberal Democrat, Otley & Yeadon) said:

“I don’t believe that is usable green space for the number of people who will be living there. This is really just a glorified grass verge.”

Councillors also felt the discount flats were still costly, at 80 per cent of full market rate.

David Blackburn, (Green, Farnley & Wortley) said:

“They aren’t affordable, even though they are called affordable homes.”

The project had been recommended for approval by Leeds City Council planning officers.

But in a unanimous vote, councillors deferred their decision to allow further discussions with the developer.

Coun Campbell said:

“I think we are trying to get it over the line. I think that’s possible with appropriate discussions with officers.”

The project also faced a late objection from Braime Pressings, a nearby engineering firm.

The company raised concerns over noise and air quality impacts on the development from its plant.

Braime’s also questioned whether its operations would be affected by extra traffic during building work on the flats.

A planning report said: “In conclusion it is considered that the objection raises no concerns that mean planning permission should not be granted.”

 

This post was written by Dom Mort, Local Democracy Reporter

Image: from developer’s planning report

 

While you’re here, can we ask a favour?

South Leeds Life is published by a not-for-profit social enterprise. We keep our costs as low as possible but we’ve been hit by increases in the print costs for our monthly newspaper which have doubled in the last two years.

Could you help support local community news by making a one off donation, or even better taking out a supporters subscription?

Donate here, or sign up for a subscription at bit.ly/SLLsubscribe


Thank you for your support

One Reply to “Decision delayed again on 18-storey Hunslet flats plan”

  1. Hi rise are no good for families. A couple of year ago when a toddler fell out of a window people said it was disgraceful that a young foreign mother had been put into high rise accommodation? Why are they building them and what type of people do they think they are aiming for.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *